This policy is designed to enable Northern Vermont University Libraries to accept volunteers, reduce risk, and protect the interests of the library, our volunteers and the community we serve. This program shall serve all library departments and services.
A volunteer is anyone 18 years or older who supplements the efforts of staff and student workers in providing quality service to our community. Anyone under 18 must have parental approval and work no more than 4 hours per day. The students participating in Upward Bound are the only exception to this rule, and are held to the restrictions imposed by the Upward Bound Program. The Public Services Librarian will be the point person for volunteers.
Volunteers will abide by the library’s Code of Conduct policy and act in the same manner as any library employee. Volunteers will sign a confidentiality agreement in accordance with ALA Privacy guidelines. Volunteers will sign in and out at the beginning and end of their service each time. A log will be placed at the InfoDesk.
Prospective volunteers will have a brief interview prior to volunteering to determine areas in which they might be able to help. The volunteer-library relationship can be discontinued without prior notice.
Volunteers will be responsible for a variety of duties as listed below
- Edging books and periodicals
- Shelf reading
- Dusting shelves, cabinets, and other surfaces
- Keeping furniture out of walkways
- Folding brochures
- Hanging promotional material in accordance with Northern Vermont University Libraries posting policy
- Clearing past due item from the bulletin boards
- Wipe down tables on all floors
- Disinfect computer keyboards and mice, clean computer screens
- Special projects